The third gig of the week was my friend Tom Whitman who was playing in a little pub in Swanage with his friend Steve. I've seen Tom play a million times, but never in a place like this with barely any of our friendship group there. And because of this I was in a minority the fact that every song he did I knew most of the words too..but I didn't really care, because everyone else was tapping their feet and drumming on their laps - which can only be a good thing. It was the first time Steve had played with Tom as Felix, Tom's normal partner in crime is currently travelling around New Zealand with his wife so as you can see, obviously couldn't be there - but Steve was great. They worked really well together and I've no doubt this was the first of many collaborations between the two of them.
There was another band on afterwards called Wood and Wires, but I didn't stay for much of their set as I had to go home so unfortunately don't have much to report on them. What I can tell you though is that they were an incredibly typical folk band with an accordian, a tambourine, lots of guitars and a very smiley guitarist. Moving on..
We then ventured to The Wedgewood Rooms to see James Vincent McMorrow. Naturally me and Gem took our place on the front row again (it only seemed right to continue as I/we had over the last week). He was supported by a band called 'The Staves' who are 3 sisters, one of whom plays the guitar, another plays the banjo while they all sing in perfect harmony. I was mesmerised. They were amazing. I think at one point I actually had tears in my eyes, I loved them. Then there was the main event - James Vincent McMorrow with his 5 strong band behind him. Like a few of the people I saw over this week in October, he was someone I hadn't been listening to for that long, but my goodness he didn't disappoint. The first 5 or 6 songs he did with his band - upbeat, foot stomping and lively. They were great. One of his more well known songs Sparrow and Wolf was particularly brilliant. He then went on to do about 5 more songs on his own, alternating between his guitar and the keyboard. His voice really is stunning, and on the more mellow songs it was enough to silence the room - so much you could hear a pin drop. He finished the set with the band back on. The highlight of the evening for me was him performing my favourite song he's done called 'We don't eat' - once again, it was amazing. Afterwards we purchased his new album called 'Early in the morning' and got the obligatory autograph and photo and then we were on our way home.
Would I do it again? Yes.
Am I having gig withdrawl symptoms? Yes.
Guess I better go and book some more tickets then..









No comments:
Post a Comment