Tuesday, 21 June 2011

I ran for my life.


Ready to race.
On Sunday afternoon a 2.30pm I took part in my 5th Race for Life which involves running 5km along Bournemouth seafront to Boscombe and back all in aid of raising money for Cancer Research.

Most years I've done it on my own but this year I was accompanied by my housemate and a couple of girls from church which made it feel special and it was nice to be there to support each other too.

The warm up by the pier was terrential, I won't lie, I felt a bit depressed. But thankfully by the time myself, Sarah and Sarah had worked our way nearly to the front of the start line the rain had stopped so all we had to contend with was the muggyness, slippery concrete and the odd shower on the way back from Boscombe. I even had my friend taking photos of me half way with 2 other friends acting as a support/cheerleaders which was most grateful as it's always nice having people there cheering you on when you feel a bit like you're starting to lose the will to live.

I ran all the way without stopping at the same pace as one of the Sarah's and after a bit of "egging on" from the cheesy local DJ we sprinted the last bit to cross the finish line in 29 minutes 33 seconds. A time which I was very proud of as I'm not gifted at running to say the least.

As I write this, those who have sponsored me have raised an amazing £225 and to you I am so grateful. Cancer research is very dear to my heart as my brother died from it in 2007 along with my Grandad and my friend's Mum that same year, and since then I know other people who have been affected by this awful disease.

If you'd like to make a last minute donation then here is the link to my fundraising page but please don't feel obliged. I am so thankful to everyone for their words of encouragement and congratulations before and after I completed the run..you're all amazing and I cannot emphasise that enough. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment