As I type this I'm currently staying in a hotel as I'm away for work for a night. Those of you on Facebook may have seen my dilemma earlier where I needed to decide what to do for dinner.
When I was away with work in Swindon and Tunbridge Wells last year I enjoyed eating in the restaurant with my friends who were there with me and occasionally enjoying a night in of room service while sitting on my bed in my pyjama's. However this time I'm on my own and this feels like it's made the world of difference.
So of course I put my quandary out there to my social network in the hope that they would aid me in my decision making, which they did. I was planning on staying in my room just vegetating, but would have had to have paid a £5 surcharge for the privilege. And as one friend said...think of the cake you can get for £5. Good point.
Therefore I felt challenged to break away from my comfort zone and risk looking like a loner in the hotel restaurant. So at 7pm I headed downstairs and got shown to my table for one.
Wow. I've never felt so cool. Not.
Thankfully I had taken the advice from many of my friends and taken my book with me so I didn't just stare into space and as it happened, an empty restaurant. Apart from one man who was so friendly with the staff I was starting to wonder if he has a residency here. Why he'd choose this hotel I'm not sure. I digress.
I also had a spontaneous visit from my friend Steve who I haven't seen for ages so he ended up joining me while I was tucking into my white chocolate ice cream and we had a good catch up. Loner Jo was no more.
Now I'm back in my room in my pyjama's. Pretty much what I thought I'd be doing 3 hours ago, but instead of dinner in front of me I have a hot drink instead.
Would I do a single dining experience again in a hotel where it makes it look like I've been stood up? Maybe. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but for the record I would much rather have dinner with a friend(s). It's just more enjoyable. However back in my room, that is one place I don't mind being alone. Tea for one? I think so.
10 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment