Sunday, 20 March 2011

Baking hell.

As most people know, I enjoy baking, and on the whole the things that I make seem to go down fairly well. But only a few hours ago I had my biggest series of baking errors for a long time. I was making a double batch of lemon cupcakes to sell at church tomorrow to raise money for Chris & Amanda in Athens, but half way through while the mixture was cooking I realised that I'd forgotten to put the eggs in. That's right. The eggs. That famous staple ingredient of cake mixture, and I forgot it. Then, I was half way through making the butter icing for them and decided to add lemon juice to what I'd made...even though lemon juice wasn't in the recipe for it. Now, there's a reason why they didn't put lemon juice on the recipe for lemon frosting (you're meant to put lemon zest on top instead)...it's because the mixture separates.

Yes folks, I not only made double mixture and started cooking it realising a key ingredient was missing, but I also ruined a batch of lemon frosting because I thought I was being clever. Oh, and to top it off I put too much food colouring in it as well. Great.

So all in all it wasn't a successful baking evening for me. Thankfully Gem came to my rescue and rustled up a cupcake mixture she knows off the top of her head and completely saved my bacon. I even made another bowl of normal yellow lemon icing and they now look half decent and I have something to sell tomorrow.

I had another baking issue the other day where I made a cherry cake for my parents but while cutting it in slices I realised there was a massive air bubble in the middle and it literally looked like a mouse had eaten a huge hole in it (although around the hole it wasn't cooked). So, it's fair to say my baking confidence has been knocked slightly and it might take me a few weeks before I pick up my recipe book and Tesco hand mixer again, but I will be back..

Utter monstrosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment